Follow your heart
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” - Dalai Lama
I was having coffee the other week in Barcelona with Positive Psychologist Miriam Akhtar. As we discussed the huge topic of happiness and wellness, she mentioned a fantastic UK Wellbeing Organisation called ‘Action for Happiness’. With the inspiring Dalai Lama as their patron, they promote positive social change, bringing together people who want to play a part in creating greater happiness. The more I learnt that only we have the power to control our own happiness, the more I knew a heart shaped route was the answer!
Cycle your heart out ... and flourish
Bike rental: Rent and roll (next to Puerta de Alcalá)
An easy 6.13km traffic free route, view my map on Wikiloc
Cycle your heart out
- Cycling through the beautiful Retiro park, past Monumento Alfonso XII , Palacio de Velázquez, Palacio de Cristal, La rosaleda del Retiro, Real Jardín Botánico
- Museo Nacional del Prado (walked my bike along Calle de Alcala to avoid traffic!)
- Ending the ride at Puerta de Alcalá to drop off my bike & enjoy some tasty carrot cake next door at Vailima cafe
- After my heart route I rode along the River to Casa de Campo and enjoyed a nice cold beer with olives at La Bicicleta Restaurant overlooking the lake
- I also highly recommend drinks in the centre of Madrid at La Bicicleta cycling cafe, they have the best chai Late!
Scroll down to view my photos and watch my video of the route.
Spread the love
- Miguel at Rent & Roll & Lucas for pointing out all the best cycle paths & sights to see!
- Positive Psychologist Miriam Akhtar for telling me about the beautiful Action For Happiness initiative!
If you have been inspired by this post and fancy having a go at creating your own heart shaped bicycle route, check out my 5 step video guide here!
Hi I'm Sarah the Heartful cyclist, author and poet